Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On being crippled

Due to the conjunction of certain planets in my mind's sky, I have been considering lately the meaning of the word crippled. I understand what it means in general usage ("a person or animal that is partially or totally unable to use one or more limbs"), but I don't think that's how my subconscious understands it. To me, I think, it has nothing to do with one's physical capacity, but instead depends on mental attitude. In my mind, a 'cripple' is someone who refuses to try doing something because they're afraid they might fail. So a person who's missing a leg, say, but is willing to try, I don't know, ice-skating (which would be difficult - I have a hard time doing it with both my legs intact), is much less crippled than a person who's entirely hale of body but won't try ice-skating because they're afraid they might fall.
That's my profundity for the day.

4 comments:

  1. are you saying im a cripple? cause i don't ice skate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you do ice skate. I made you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think of being crippled somewhat the same as you, or maybe the same, but your example kept it tied to physical handicap. i would say i think of anything that holds you back as crippling, whether it be mental, physical, psychological, spiritual, metaphysical, mental, mental, or pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was going to say what qt said. also, i want to be able to disguise my name like they did. (I figured out who myself is.) i want to be sneaky like them.

    ReplyDelete