Friday, January 22, 2010

Sparrow

I like Simon and Garfunkel. I realize they may have had some issues in their lives, but the words to some of their songs are amazing. One of my favorites is Sparrow. The words are thus:


Who will love a little sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest?
"Not I," said the Oak Tree
"I won't share my branches with no sparrow's nest
And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

Who will love a little sparrow
And who will speak a kindly word?
"Not I," said the Swan
"The entire idea is utterly absurd
I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other swans heard."

Who will take pity in his heart
And who will feed a starving sparrow?
"Not I," said the Golden Wheat
"I would if I could but I cannot I know
I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

Who will love a little sparrow?
Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will," said the Earth
"For all I've created returns unto me
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"

I like this song because it's a good reminder of how we ought to behave, and how bad our excuses for not helping each other are. The tree won't help the sparrow; why? Because he doesn't want to. The swan won't help the sparrow; why? Because of what others might say if he does. The wheat won't help the sparrow; why? Because she thinks she doesn't have enough to spare, and won't make it if she shares. Then in the end, what happens? The earth receives the sparrow, as she will one day receive the tree, the swan, and the wheat. Despite their selfishness and unwillingness to help the sparrow, one day they will be nothing more than she is. It seems to me as though the primary reasons we use to avoid helping each other are all here: we don't feel like it, people will laugh at us, we don't have enough for ourselves. But what will happen in the end? Will our desire to put ourselves first, our laziness or vanity, our reputation, our financial well-being, put us in a better position when we all go back to meet our maker? Somehow I doubt it.

3 comments:

  1. hm, i was going to say that im like oak tree and im too lazy to help people, but then i thought about it and decided that theres a bit of all of them in me.

    ReplyDelete